Monday, August 1, 2011

Surrender

Yesterday Brian and I were a little late to church. It was my fault, sometimes I'm slow. Brian likes to encourage me to hurry up by saying things like, "We're gonna miss the Holy Spirit if we're late!" He makes me laugh. With my track record it's a darn good thing that is just a joke.

As I put down my things and settled into my spot, the worship team began to sing "I Surrender All." Now I'm a relatively young person, and I'm into the new style of worship music. Ok, maybe I'm an old soul because I'm pretty sure the "new" kind of music has been around for longer than I have. :)Anyway, as much as I love contemporary songs, hymns just speak to my soul. The words are so rich and moving. I can't help but imagine a man from the 1800s sittig by candlelight writing the words with a feather pen. Those hymns have been sung by saints for many, many years. They are powerful.

Yesterday as I began to sing that song, the words got stuck in my throat. I just couldn't say "all." ALL to Jesus I surrender, ALL to him I freely give. The Holy Spirit stirred my heart and reminded me of some things I have been holding tightly to. Honestly, it shocked me a little. I thought "Lord, I surrendered that to you!" as he gently reminded me that I had taken it back. Sometimes it's embarrassing how many times I have to surrender my struggles. I am thankful that God allows his Holy Spirit to convict me, even when it stings. However, with real conviction comes real hope. The end of the song says, "O the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory, to His Name!" He wants all of me, my whole heart, all my doubts, desires, and faults surrendered to him. I am grateful that he has shown me over and over again that his plan is best, even when I don't understand. I am surrendering all to him!

Glory, glory to his name!

1 comment:

  1. Amen ! Glory glory glory to the One who saves my soul!

    ReplyDelete